Friday 28 October 2011

Why NOT to Dance?

After reading an interesting blog from Nicole, I have been thinking how to further develop and finalize my question, as it still feels too vast a subject to find achievable and measurable results from.

As it stands, I am looking into 'What is the sociological role of engagement in Dance'. I have specific interest in the use of dance in the media and as an advertising tool, and a passion about promoting dance in the community and making in accessible and inclusive to all (any age/ability/culture etc)

Today I completed a training day on Creative Teaching Practice at Ludas; a community based Dance Company based in Lancaster. I found detailed training into risk assessments, CRB checks, public liability etc all very interest, and it has defiantly cleared up some grey areas I had as an evolving teacher.

Relating to Nicole’s post, I am wary that my question here is making an assumption that Dance does have a beneficial role on society. Although I believe this to be the case, I cannot define a question that is biased or that I feel I already know the answer too, it needs to remain objective and not subjective.

Therefore, at the training day we considered not only the reasons why people dance, but reasons why people DO NOT dance as well.

We considered the following:

 - Against religion/culture

- Difficulty in finding appropriate classes (level/age range, is it right to put an older person with no exams in a class of much younger children for example?)

- Lack of appropriate space and facilities (you may have a large room but this might actually be a frightening space for some, somewhere unknown with mirrors may feel unsafe or unwelcoming)

- Lack of support from local communities (lack of funding)

- Lack of availability and accessibility of classes

- Cost (classes are expensive)

- Attitudes ('not cool', peer pressure, I 'can't' do that approach

- For graduates of Dance, little support and guidance and support after graduation

Sometimes, putting 'the shoe on the other foot' helps to you see a broader approach to your research. Being so passionate about Dance, it has never really occurred to me why people wouldn't want to take part in it.

I am hoping developing this thought process will enable me to specify a question a bit more; any thoughts on this would be great!

2 comments:

Nicole Carman said...

I think sometimes we are blinded by our passion for dance. Looking at a concept from another view point can help us see more clearly.

Sonal Natasha Patel said...

I agree with Nicole. As we are dancers reasoning with non dancers as why they don't "work out' or do any sort of fitness is difficult. I feel I have to try and sell dance as a non fitness but exciting and good way to work out given this is the passion.