Thursday 7 April 2011

Exploring Professional Networking

The conclusion I have come to after doing lots of researching is that there really are many Networks we use as Professionals. Making a judgement on which networks’ are most efficient is each specific circumstance comes wit common sense as to which will give the most appropriate and desired responses. The main resources used are technology based however, there are some that are non-technology based. Looking specifically into my personal Professional practise as a Dancer, I have found these are the resources I use to apply my professional networking in my daily routine:

Facebook
Email (Gmail/Hotmail) -
Twitter
Blackberry - (Phone calls/Text messaging/Email/BBM instant messaging)
Websites - Dance Cast/Spotlight/Professional Profiles
Face to Face Conversation
Air Mail
Other resources I have gradually built up - specific companies and agents.


I have concluded that each situation in particular will determine which networking methods are best and why. I know that, generally, when wanting to contact an Agent for example, I would always use Email. Largely due to the fact of its simplicity, often these Agents are based in America so waiting for deliveries through air mail would take forever. This method is also a reliable way of receiving and sending extra information, most commonly to send CV’s and headshots, and to receive contract or flight details etc. From the agent or companies perspective, this is their way of them being able to contact you should they wish to employ you. I feel they have tendencies not to give out phone numbers to prevent being constantly hounded by over eager dancers! On the other hand, I know I choose alternative methods to be in touch with friends. These social networks differ greatly and are efficient for their purpose in very different ways. I think I most commonly use text messages, I rarely seem to have the time to have lengthy phone conversations! I have an application on my blackberry called BBM, it is a great way of communication as it works world wide and is always instant.
In my line of work it is necessary to be part of a professional network or even a social network having employers as friends. Employers are always advertising auditions and casting on Facebook, Twitter and other web sites. Talking online is always easier than in person especially with someone you are yet to develop a relationship with.

All methods that we as professional practitioners use mean we are all becoming part of or creating a social media. Social media participation is an essential tool in networking with professional contacts, making new contacts, recruiting employees, and keeping in touch with the world. I feel in a way that if you’re not participating in the top social media and networking sites, the world is leaving you behind! Why not become involved on the social media Web sites? Participating in this in someway can hugely advance your human resources and surely, ultimately increase your chance of becoming and staying employed in your professional practise. Huge benefits are also gained for specific jobs. If for example like me you are interested in teaching, social media participation can help us to obtain superior employees by enlarging a sort of ‘candidate pool‘, and enable you to easily stay in touch with coworkers and former coworkers at one or many locations. (Perhaps if you teach in more than one place, or when the number of pupils you teach becomes too much for you as an individual).

I think to get the best out of these social media sites takes some trial and error. I feel it is necessary to explore the possible sites to see which sites fits our needs for participation. Some sites specialize in certain industries and on specific topics. Some even focus on networking within regions and nations, again beneficial for us as in my experience, more often that not every cast I have worked with have been multi national. With doing all this research I have concluded that social media sites are a critical component in professional networking, career success, and career development going forward. I think that, for the inevitable future, social media sites will play an increasing role in networking, career advancement, and professional success.
 

No comments: