Saturday 9 April 2011

Sources Of Information

This task has been all about exploring the different methods by which I, and my peers on this course, gather and organise information. Most of the methods I have not are already well established however are perhaps not always seen as a technology. The main tool, is obviously the Internet. Here I would like to make reference to the theory of Connectivism, being that this is a way of learning influenced by the spread of Internet and digital technologies. I am finding that I use my blogging site, Google, Hotmail, and even social media sites such as Facebook to connect with fellow students. Having so many different ways to connect and share information with each other has meant I have really been able to produce well rounded, critically reflected work for the BAPP. Ultimately, this will have helped my professional practise already, but even more importantly is the fact that it will continue to be aided as I am sure many of us will continue to share our views and opinions on any professional practise related issues. The theory of Connectivism really provides an explanation about how networks provide the means for individuals to connect and learn from and within the network. It has therefore become apparent to me that learning about my professional practise comes from gaining knowledge from 'teacher to student' but I, being the student, have to modify it. It is the me as the 'learner' who connects the information, and then put it into my 'higher schemes' that make sense of my personal experiences.

Another major source of information is simply meeting and discussing experiences related to our professional practises as a group. I regularly meet with fellow cast members, teachers, friends in similar career lines etc. It is this social construction that encourages each individual to share their meaning of the world around them and their personal experiences in their own practise. I may even say that this method is perhaps the most valuable, I think witnessing peoples reactions physically, as you would do when meeting in a face to face situation is considerably more telling and truthful that via the Internet. In a sense, you cannot really hide what your true feelings and opinions are, ultimately producing more honest reactions and constructive criticism.

To inform my practise further I rely a lot on some external sources. I get vast amounts on information regarding the latest jobs, auditions, upcoming dance schools, even the latest uniform from my subject literature. I have a weekly subscription to both 'The Stage' and 'The Dancing Times' magazines. Both provide me with useful reading materials on dance related topics happening today, but also pages upon pages of auditions. Without them I would really struggle to remain 'on the scene' and up to date with whats going on in the dance world.

Through reading her blog, and on my knowledge of her gained with our blossoming friendship, I know that Sonal uses similar sources of information to aid her professional practise. I have become awear of her advantage of living in Manchester. Also, from her blog and posts I can see that location is key to optimum professional practise as a teacher, as well as an auditionee. Manchester, the capital of the North as they say, always has big auditions from reputable companies and agents as well as a population large enough for someone teaching dance to have a secure and sustainable financial lifestyle. With training there for three years myself, I found links to more sources of information from specific places. The Royal Northern College of Music, The Dancehouse Theatre, The Palace Theatre and the Sunshine Studios all have helped to aid my professional practise in different ways, whether it be from providing a safe, suitable workplace to practise or having a fully equipped theatre with an up to date show schedule or wide range of versatile dance class timetables. It seems clear to me that she organises herself in such a way that she is achieving as a dance teacher by finding a school with enough eager and willing pupils, and creating herself a sound reputation as a skilled practitioner. She seems to have really set herself up fantastically for her professional practise by utilising her sources of information correctly.

On reflection, the issue has now risen that I simply will not be aiding the success of my professional practise should I choose to stay living where I am currently in the Lake District. There simply are not the same kind of resources available. My county's smaller population provides literally only a handful of other keen dancers. There is a noticeable severe lack of opportunity to expand as a professional practitioner. Thank goodness for the new direct train line to Manchester City Centre!

2 comments:

Stephanie Thomas said...

I agree with you about needing to be in a large city when working in the performance industry - I am originally from Derbyshire, which is pretty rural. It did annoy me slightly that you seem to have to move to London to get on in the acting profession, but I have accepted that that is just a part of it. I suppose, whilst other industries may be more and more internet based, giving people the opportunity to work from anywhere, the same can never apply to live performance...we have to be there! I do admire actors who live away from London and seem to still do well, as there are lots of people I know who find the city too hectic (and expensive). Thinking back to my definition of success when we first started the course, part of it was achieving a happy work/life balance, and I think each of us has to find the living conditions that both fulfill our career and make us happy.

I also certainly agree with your comments about face to face contact and networking. Whilst the internet is a fantastic resource, there is still so much to be gained from meeting people in person. We get a real sense of personality when we meet others face to face - one thing that I am trying to do at the theatre where I am currently working is have the courage to mingle and introduce myself to people in person, instead of just sending e-mails, which is a lot less scary for me. There is no substitute for the real thing!

Daisuke said...

Hi.
I agree with Stephanie. Internet is an amazing source of information. However, end of the day, when you go to auditions or interview, we can not avoid face to face situations.

In a way, rest of the sources are ways to get to face to face situation. So, as you mentioned living in a city already increase possibilities of meeting people compare to living in a town which is middle no where.
Living in a city is putting your self as a node in a big network.
So, if we are all serious about getting a job, living in a city is necessary.

Thank you Sophie.