Sunday 25 September 2011

Brainstorming ideas for Developing a Line Of Professional Enquiry

Regarding the Campus Session from last year, seems to be the case that we need to start deciding on ideas for developing a line of profession enquiry in relation to my personal professional practise.

My work has involved working as a performing Dancer on a Cruise liner (Silversea, a 6 star smaller, luxury line) aswell as taking responsibility for the whole Performance Team once given the role iof Dance Captain and Production Company Manager through the agency Jean Ann Ryan Productions. Although thoroughly enjoying working abroad in a performance based role, now having completed this contract having gained new knowledge on managing a team of performers from many ages and nationalities, I have embarked upon making the transition to discovering the world of dance teaching. I have not given up performing as I know this is my first love, however I feel a potential change in my career direction will only encourage me to diversify and explore new horizons enabling me to be the most experienced practitioner I can be. I have always had a strong personal interest in sound health and nutrition and promotion of this to all ages, and more specifically the potential benefits dance and physical movement can have on the body. I intend to base my personal inquiry on a concept of this nature.
As I start to work through and explore important questions relating to our professional practice, it strikes me there are perhaps two broad types of questions.

Firstly, what type of inquiry will improve my performance to create, make, interpret or teach my art. This is for me a ‘disciplinary’ or ‘subject’ question. It is fundamentally about how I operate as not just a dancer but as a developing Dance Teacher. An inquiry located here might give weight to disciplinary knowledge (the ways or conventions or literature that exists written by exemplary practitioners or researchers). Or  it might be practical in nature (the ways we do things and these extra higher-level skills that are required in my specific Professional Practise). My inquiry involves understanding something more effectively which in turn lead to a change or improvement in my experience and overall practice.
Lets see where this leads me………

1 comment:

Adesola said...

Hi
Sounds like you have been doing a lot of productive reflecting over the summer. Great you are back blogging. Yes, the inquiry question is
1) about improving your artistic practise
2) was the second type 'practical in nature...'? because in a way I think they are part of the same thing. In other words the inquiry is work from what you know, to contextulize your research but inquire beyond what you think you know to learn more about something. I just wrote on Jo's blog that it is not about finding a question to answer. It is about better understanding a question so that you can ask more informed, deeper questions.
Do you think that makes sense?
Great to be back in communication after the summer
Adesola