Thursday 16 February 2012

The Ballerina Project

Whilst browsing the Internet with Literature reviewing in mind, I decided to 'google' a link a friend had mentioned to me recently. Although not directly related to the BAPP Course, her advise has pointed me to a really interesting project in New York. 'The Ballerina Project' is a collection of photography which grew from the idea of New York being a city full of creativity and opportunity. Looking at the collection of pictures, which stems over 10 years worth now, the project adresses some very topical issues ranging from the record rainfall and bad weather in Boston, to the increase in diagnosed Eating Disorders within the dance industry.

My inquiry into what dance means and feels to those partaking in it has caused me think on many different levels about sharing others experience and interpretation of dance performance, not simply my perception of it. Related to this, I have been exploring some theories about where Dance may fall and its role in society. There is one particular photograph taken during the recent economic recession, showing a ballerina gracefully poised over an empty fridge - I thought it was a innovtive way of highlighting the topic issues in todays society. Perhaps dance can do this after all!

The link to the project is below, there is a blog to read too if anyone is interested further....

Ballerina Project

No comments: