Friday 30 March 2012

Professional Artefact Ideas

Although analysis of the data I have been collecting throughout the inquiry process, I have been thinking about possible ideas for my Professional Artefact,

So far, because my inquiry is one involving dancers and dance artists, I am thinking along the lines of something fairly creative. Within the community I am focusing on, ( Ludus Dance - a community based Dance organisation in Lancaster), its users and clients would not lean towards communicating through written page after page of block text. I want to share my research project as a whole with the professional and community dance communities,the process AND the analysis. It seems Dancers tend to communicate through ways other than words, so using one artistic flair and including movement, colour, music, or creative dance related imagery seems logical. In terms of knowing my audience, upon reflection of Ludus as one of my current workplaces, having an audio-visual element to the artefact will most likely appeal to the people who use it. This also will mean the communication I wish to share can reach their on line community via their own website if necessary.

Analysis is suggested there most definitely re - occurring themes to what Dance means to Ludus users, some of these themes are dependant on certain factors, the context of the dance activity its self for example. My artefact needs to show the connection between these themes, but also the connection between each of the users that create the 'community' itself. It seems ones meaning can also constantly develop/change, so somehow representing the idea that every individuals experience of dance is important, and that the meaning of Dance has no solid frameworks on structures that people have to fit in with/to is key.

At the moment my idea is to have recorded material of various Ludus users each connected to each other physically, each person represents one idea as to what Dance's means in this community. They can each then move as they desire, intermingling, but remaining linked in someway (using colourful ribbons to hold between each others hands maybe). Although thinking initially to have the dancers stand in a circle obviously represents the unity within the community, a circular shape is closed, and does not allow for new people (i.e new meaning) to enter this community. Encouraging all walks of life to enage with Dance at Ludus has been a huge theme in my analysis, so perhaps having more of an open ended structure would more accurately represent how my understanding into the meaning for Dance has constantly developed, and taken new direction as the enquiry process has gone along.

The image below takes a similar direction, what do you think? If any of you are dancers, would you feel the same about seeing something creative and visual rather than a leaflet, or text document?

        

No comments: