Friday 18 March 2011

Inspiration from Current Affairs in my Professional Practise

Just following on from my previous blog, I am still in the process of creating a new piece based on a theme of todays current affairs. As I have stated the disaster in Japan is of particular interest to me as it is such a big story right now. I have used google to find you tube clips of the Tsunami itself, they are really helping to inspire new movements, feeling so creative! This Reflection process is really so useful, I would have never thought to watch a clip on an extreme weather condition could provide so many tools to help me think of new choreo. Below is just one example:


This particular video really expresses the drama of what it must be like to literally see this natural disaster approaching with no way of escaping it. Truly frightenening but it a strange way rather beautiful inspiration for new movemnts. What do you all think?

2 comments:

Stephanie Thomas said...

Sophie - for some reason I can't see the video...perhaps it is just the computer I am using. But I think current affairs are a great stimulus for creative work. After all...I would say that one of the main purposes of art is to explore issues within society. Theatre, dance and music pieces can act as a great platform for political debate or simply to deepen our understanding of events. Where better to take inspiration from than the news that is all around us?

Sonal Natasha Patel said...

Sophie-This is a definite debate matter. Looking from the other point of view this idea could be rather disturbing for others. Creating dance and movement out of a natural disaster could be a hurtful and unthoughtful in some eyes, reasons being that this is a natural disaster and a killing situation destroying peoples lives, homes, jobs, major cities and the economy.
There could defiantly be a varied amount views on this point.
However, touching on Steph's points- Other may say watching the current affairs could be a way of creating a beautiful piece of choreography showing the feelings and thoughts we are all going through whilst this terrible affair has happened. It could show the sorrow and that our thoughts are with the people who have been devastated. Just a thought- What do you reckon? Agree?