Tuesday 22 March 2011

Journal Writing Experience

Hi Everyone!

So I have just finished task 2b of our module, the Reflective Writing, taking a day and reflecting upon it. I have discovered really how vast the number of different thoughts and views really are within my mind just on one day. Then of course, now that I have been introduced to the idea of coinciding these thoughts and views of another person or object too - that’s really a lot of thinking and reflection!

I decided to specify writing about one specific event during the day as it was such a major event to me in context with my Professional Practise. I have reflected upon the day when I audition for the company I work for, Jean Ann Ryan Productions. Although this specific audition day took place last year no, I can still so vividly remember all thoughts and feeling experiences. I felt this was a sign therefore that this day in particular could introduce some interesting reflection, rather than reflection upon just an average day in the life so me!

The recollection of the feelings and thoughts initially was a strange process actually, it almost felt like I was there reliving the nerves experienced pretty throughout the whole day!

What I found specifically interesting when I re-read through my reflections was the actual transitions between each new feeling. So, for example, how I felt in-between the initial pre -audition nerves and anticipation, into the sheer strength of concentration and complete focus on the task in hand mid audition into the final utter relief experienced at the end of a successful audition. The areas in-between I found were somewhat more difficult to write about, possibly because I was not actually thinking of anything other than what would be required of me next, and how I could show myself to the best of my ability in every way.

What was also very interesting is that I now notice there were great similarities between my thoughts and feelings and the thoughts and feeling of my Mum. (I chose to imagine she was there with me, experiencing things from a mother who has absolutely no dance experience what so ever!) Coincidently, I asked her what she would predict she would feel if she had have actually been there, it was pretty similar to what I had already written! (Trust me guys, mums really do get as nervous as we do!)

I also reflected upon the thoughts and views of a specific object, I chose my water bottle - a crucial ‘must have’ at any audition I think you will all agree! Although at first it seemed quite silly to be thinking from the mind of some plastic, but it turned out to be a really interesting and new way of thinking, literally thinking outside the box! It opened up a new way of reflecting on something which I now intend to do again with other experiences in my Professional Practise.

The main theme that came out of this task was really clear to me straight away. I now realise that the anticipation of the thoughts one may have on an event can actually have a negative effect on the person in that situation of experiencing the event. I realise that me as a person, I tend to get over anxious about a situation, such as an audition, I tell myself that it will be ridiculously tough and that I will be so very nervous so inevitably I end up being a total nervous wreck because I start to believe what I have conjured up in my mind! In reality, it probably was not as bad as I had expected. The theory, of even philosophy if you like behind my findings is really a great lesson in life, not just in my professional precise. This being that usually, anticipation of some things is usually worse than the actual event, so if we can, we should not try to predict how we will feel but rather to ‘go with the flow’, more often than not I think we will all be pleasantly surprised that things are never as bad as they seem. Moreover, as naïve as it may sound, I have come to realise the power of positive thinking. This rational, logical way of perceiving events can help determine their outcome, so keep up the positive vibes people!

How has everyone else found this task?

1 comment:

Stephanie Thomas said...

I have just done my journal writing task so will hopefully be posting it later on today. Your comment about the power of positive thinking is very true - I thought about it a lot when I was writing the section 'What If?" - imagining what you would have liked to happen that day. I really believe it's important to constantly re-assess what you want to happen in your career, even if it seems very ambitious and far fetched. It's not a very academic/scientific viewpoint, but it makes sense to me that the 'vibes' or energy that you send out into the world will come back around to you - so if we believe in ourselves being successful and project that, it will be more likely to happen.

I am glad you liked the 'culture fusion' idea that I got from Sonal's blog. I agree with you - our heritage is one of the things that makes us unique and shapes our experience, so it's a great starting point for creative inspiration.