Monday 7 March 2011

Reflecting so far!

Morning everyone!

My reflection process is now well underway! Scrap booking is proving really fun, everyone should give it a go! Really finding that there are so many ways to translate movements into what I can find in magazines and newspapers. Use of colour, text, quotes from these reading materials not only looks kinda cool but I think really clearly demonstrates the messages that I want to get across about my reflections. I have found if you really 'think outside the box' so to speak, you can create a real masterpiece that not only helps with initial movements for example but then inspires for future choreo. Seeing certain colour schemes in particular had given me so many ideas for future dance pieces I would like to choreograph myself. The initial colours set the style, then I can start to piece together a number, adding in numbers of people, entrances and exits, scenery, lighting etc, based on this theme.

Anyone else having a go at scrapbooking?

4 comments:

Stephanie Thomas said...

What a great idea Sophie - particularly if you are a very visual person and get inspiration from colours and shapes.

I have tried scrapbooking in the past - just has a way to record little thoughts or cut out photos or articles I like. I never really kept it up but it's great to have that visual stimulus to go back to. I think i'd be far more likely to go back and flick through a scrapbook than I would be to sit down and read pages and pages of just words from a journal.

Having taken on the journal, poetry writing and the video diary. I didn't think that I would have time to start a scrapbook as well, but your post has definitely made me think about how I can incorporate more visual elements into my journal. Cut out pictures, draw and use colour more, stick photos in etc. Better buy some prit stick!

Sonal Natasha Patel said...

Steph, How did you find the Poem?? It seems so strange to me of how it would work? Im so curious to see. I have been using my diagrams and pictures and this is working but its defiantly a challenge.

However, Sophie's idea is really visual and as I am a dancer I found visual more effective for me. I think I may give this ago and I'll let you know the progress!

Paula Nottingham said...

Yes Yes - use visual language to communicate - remember evaluation and use of theories - this can be done for visualisations as well as written communication - think of the Kolb cycle... So the scrapbook images need analysis and explanation - think professional - fashion and storyboards and design sheets - also remember copyright of images when it applies - so try to get sources of famous images when you collect them i.e movie stills etc.

Sophie Douglas said...

Thanks for your advice Paula, I am going back to refer on my notes on Kolb's cycle. I am intending to take some pictures of my scrapbook pages and post them as a blog with extra text on my analysis and explanation included too. Do you think this is a good idea?